Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gratitude

 

Every once in awhile I like to give Spirit/ Universe/God <insert name you like to use here> a shout out for all the blessings I have.

Today, I want to express my gratitude for the opportunity to stay at home and raise my children. This is a big one for me. With my first child (Trent) I had to work full time plus until he was about 3. He got passed around to daycare and family members and even when I finally was at home with him and Donovan  I was a bit overwhelmed at first. I was used to set schedules, adult interaction, having periods of me time (like in the bathroom, driving to and from work, lunch).Also, so much more was expected of me. Cook, clean, entertain, teach, do the shopping, all the midnight feedings. I didn’t have a supportive partner at this time. I think he believed, like a lot of people believe, that the person who stays home should have to do absolutely everything. I don’t know if it is true or not but I have always believed being bounced around had an effect on Trent. He has always been so needy and has some  issues with just being himself in the company of others. We constantly butt heads! So, for me, I think being the one there to raise my kids is such a blessing! I know we sacrifice a lot (being only a one income family) but it is sooo worth it! For me, it’s been a lot more work than going to work but my schedule is my own (awesome) and for someone who hates being told what to do this is quite a perk! People debate all the time about which is “harder” being a stay at home mom or a working mom? I say this can’t be quantified. It is all what you put into it. Some moms put their all into their family AND themselves and some moms just put their all into just themselves and some put their all into just their family. I believe the moms that put their all into both areas make the best moms. I do think that being an involved mom or dad is super important but I also think it is important for your child to see there is more to you than just “duty” and taking care of others needs. Parenting is important but we are each here for our own journey, we can’t live through another person, not even our children.

So thank-you for letting me have the job of Mom and spend my days looking at these faces:

009

garden etc 055

No comments:

Post a Comment