Saturday, August 13, 2011

What Does Vacation Mean for Mom?

 

vacation3

Family vacation……relaxing on the beach, eating delicious food, playing fun games and all the rest. That’s what vacation means to kids and husbands everywhere.

What  about Moms? What does it mean to us? That all depends on a four letter word. PREP. It can make or break your vacation! My kids think of the week before vacation like this : 7 more days till vacation! 6 more days till vacation! 5 more days….you get the picture. This is what MY week before vacation looks like (the highlighted items are the only crucial items but I like to be thorough, at least in my list making,actual execution usually falls short):

1. Make a packing list (this is an ongoing weeklong process)

(the rest is in no particular order)

2. Finish apron

3. Cut sewing projects (I get to sew on this vacation, woo hoo!)

4. Prep emergency kit

5. Clean entire house (I HATE coming home to a dirty house after vacation)

6. Organize stuff going to Goodwill and schedule pickup (we are having a yard sale and have to get rid of the leftovers)

7. Clean out turtle tank

8. Take turtle to Dad’s (he is our turtle sitter while we are gone)

9. Make a meal plan (one for this week and one for vacation week)

10.Make a shopping list (one for stuff we are bringing/need for this week and one for stuff we will need to get there)

11.Make and freeze taquitos

12. Make and freeze muffins

13. Make and freeze cookies (premade food makes vacation more relaxing!)

14. Finish dress ( It looks like Dan and I may have an actual date night while vacationing!)

15.Take back library materials and get new ones for vacation week

16. Do all laundry

17. Find a plant sitter

18. Run to health food store (I know you can’t tell by looking at me but I actually do frequent a health food store, true story)

19. Prep ideas and materials for kids entertainment (i.e sidewalk chalk, outdoors games, beach toys, family games, etc...)

20. Prep car ride entertainment

21. Empty all trash cans before leaving

22. Pack

I wont lie to you…I heart planning and organizing. (Don’t tell my family I like them to think I suffer through all this planning just because I love them) My Mom used to laugh because as much as I loved lists I loved ignoring them even more. I have gotten better about following my lists, really I have!

Any who, it promises to be an amazingly busy week so you may be wondering……what the hell am I doing blogging when I have a list that long to complete? Well, I forgot to mention there is something I like even more than list making….procrastination!

p.s- You are very welcome for that handmade, ridiculously accurate rendering of my family (see above framed masterpiece)

p.s.s- I wasted a spectacular amount of time on that drawing simply so I could demonstrate procrastination at work. Once again, you’re welcome

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment